Monday, June 7, 2010

Tackle

Tackle

(4 years, 11 months)
Dear Trevor,
Yesterday we were in Turiello's Pizza. Nino cut your slice into ten pieces, but some of them were still too big for your mouth. So when you started struggling to cut one with the side of your fork, I pitched in to help. I hacked up one of the pieces with my espresso spoon and slid the halves toward you across the aluminum platter. ‘Here,’ I said, ‘tackle this.’
You forked a piece into your mouth and said, ‘What's a tackle?’
Chopping at another piece, I said, ‘That's what football players do when they want to stop a guy that’s running.’
‘What guy,’ you inquired reasonably.
‘The guy with the ball,’ I said, ‘when he's running to make points, they tackle him to knock him down.’
‘Well,’ you said, ‘do they eat him?’
Love, Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment