Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Death

(3 years 6 months)

Dear Trevor,

The other morning you were standing between my knees when you asked where my daddy was. I have no idea what prompted the question. I said, ‘My daddy is dead.’

You said, ‘Oh, I'm sorry.’

I said, ‘Thank you. But you don't have to be sorry. My father was old when he died. Everything dies. If it lives, someday it will die.’

You asked, ‘Will you die?’

I said, ‘Someday.’

You asked, ‘Will Mommy die?’

I said, ‘Yes, someday.’

‘And I'll be all alone,’ you said,

I said, ‘You don't have to be concerned about that now. It won't happen for a long time. And when it does, we think you will be ready and able to take care of yourself. After all, being a child is just one step on a wonderful road of experience and achievement. When that happens, you will be a man. And it is a wonderful thing to be a man. Just as you now see it is a wonderful thing to be a child.’

You nodded.

You walked away and got involved in your trains.

Love, Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment